Monday, July 29, 2013

MONSTERCON

It's Official.  I am a NERD!

Did anyone really second guess that?  But I made my way to my first CON this weekend.  And It was a blast!

The MonsterCon is owned by someone associated with "The Walking Dead."

Being a cheapskate, and plenty busy, even for a teacher in the summer, I only made it to Saturday.  But Saturday was enough to just about lure me to just about every local CON I can make!  The people were so laid back.  They came unashamedly in costume.  They came enthusiastic.  They came in large numbers.

And there was so much to do!  I went specifically to play Magic:The Gathering.  They had a free draft tournament.  (Free cards!)  There wasn't much gaming, tho.  This CON is in its infancy, so…..  But the gaming will come.

The largest presence there was of the Carolina Ghostbusters and the Madalorian Mercs.  These guys were over the top, with film accurate costumes and weapons.  The groups are also charitable contributors.  And now SpartanSmurf #1 wants to join the Madalorian Mercs.  He is thinking about how to make one of those AWESOME costumes.

Did I mention that I got to shake David Prowse's hand?  Who you ask?  DARTH VADER!  The man in the suit from the original trilogy!

There were lots of vendors.  I was specifically looking for loose MOTUC figures.  But there were only a few MIB.  I bought a Spikor, and some vintage loose figures.  My associated SpartanSmurf bought just about the best DEADPOOL figure that has ever been made!

I wish….

I could have stayed for the "The Independents" concert.  That would have been BOSS!

There was more Masters of the Universe representation.

There was MORE in general.  Especially Magic: The Gathering.

But with what WAS there, I was very happy and inspired.  And I look forward to going again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!