Wednesday, February 12, 2014

He-Man.org Fan Poll...The Current DC Comics

You can find the poll I reference throughout this post on He-Man.org until Sunday, February 16th, 2014 at 11:00 PM EST.

The poll asks our opinions about the current comics.  I am one of those (quiet?) people who actually enjoy the new comics, while all around the web people are bad mouthing them.

Here is how I answered the poll questions.  (Everything is a scale of 1-10, 1 being worst opinion, 10 being the best.)


Overall, how do you rate the story in the current on-going DC MOTU comic?



I gave this one a 7.  I appreciate the "secret identity less" continuity they have established.  The Dark Orko thing doesn't bother me, and I feel it shouldn't bother so many others.  The idea of "the buffoon" being the big-bad isn't new, but MOTU fans don't seem to be aware of this.  They are treating Dark Orko with the dreadful criticism deserved for Scrappy Doo in the Scooby Doo movie.

GO BACK AND READ YOUR ASIMOV, People!  (OK, I'll lead you there, since you seem blind without me.  Check out "The Mule."

What I don't like is that they started the whole thing in an altered reality.  That isn't a strong place to start.  I also don't like the way they write Teela.  Hordak is OK, but far too many people have been killed off.  

They've beaten the Good Guys down over and over it seems.  There hasn't hardly been any victory.  And I like my good guys to win in Masters of the Universe.

I almost feel like this whole current main story arc is heading towards a big reset button where the comics will transform into a more comfortable, filmation-esque story.  Everything and everyone reverted back to normal.  Or maybe a part of me wishes that would happen.

Overall, how do you rate the art in the current on-going DC MOTU comic?


II rated this one at 8.  Largely the art has been pleasant.  Some of it has been sort of Avant Garde, even.  (The Origin of He-Man in particular)

The art in this book is very high level.
And I think the hottest Sorceress design appears in this book too!


I don't like all of the art.  There was one recent issue that I really hated...The one where they enter Subternia.  Nope.  Not my style.  Way too scribbly.

Here's an example.  And it seemed to decay even more as the issue neared the end.



Overall, how do you rate the story in the current DCU vs MOTU comic?



Remember this post, oh Hub City Geeks?  I was so excited...You'd think I'd give it a 10.  But I give it an 8 instead.

Well...there are a couple of things that are unclear.  Is this story really in the New 52 continuity? It is billed as it is.

What has been happening in the main continuity of the DC Universe is never referenced, hardly ever anyway.  No news of Forever Evil.  And it seems Green Lantern is with the League.  Frustrating.  Didn't he fly away after the whole mess with David Graves?

A couple of more weak things...Evil Lynn is not so good at deception.  Anyone can see a double cross coming.  Also, why wasn't Wonder Woman more angry that He-Man killed Superman?  Everyone remember this, from the Old 52?

Shouldn't more have been made of the Man of Steel's demise?


As far as I know, this is the first time Superman was killed in the New 52.  I know, I know.  It was an impostor.  Still.  It is notable.

And this has been more of a Justice League Dark story, than a Justice League (regular) story.

Gripe. Gripe.  Gripe.

What do I like?  I like that this story comes right after the Horde invasion, but before the events of Masters of the Universe #7.  It is wedged in there.  I like that Skeletor's story continues here, and that Dark Orko is revealed here.

(Shouldn't I have separated my vote from the first question?  I guess I didn't know they were distinguishing between the two titles.)

I like that Skeletor is gathering lackeys on Earth as well.  At least Black Alice.  And she has been entertaining.

You know what would be great?  In Forever Evil the Crime Syndicate keeps talking about "a being that destroyed our planet."  What if that being turns out to be...Dark Orko.

I expect Darkseid.  Or someone like that.  But Dark Orko would rectify some of the seeming inconsistencies.  Wouldn't t be cool if Dark Orko was from the Earth 3 Universe...That would be sick!  I guess we'll find out when that this month's issue ships!

(That is totally not going to happen.  DC wouldn't base their universe on Mattel's property.  Still, one could dream!)

I guess I should also mention the Unnamed One here.  There seems to be a coincidence.  The Unnamed One is Dark Orko.  And Dark Orko's origin issue ships at the same time as the Nameless One.  Sorry for any spoilers...But you probably already knew anyways.

Overall, how do you rate the art in the current DCU vs MOTU comic?

The art here is on par with all of the other DC New 52 titles.  I am fairly pleased.  I rated it 9. (It still isn't Todd McFarlane.)


How are the costume designs for the MOTU characters in the DC comics?



Now here is one I can be 100% behind.  I love the new designs!  It bothers me a little bit about Skeletor not having a bottom jaw, but in the same way the Joker doesn't have a face, so....



I gave this one a 10.  I hope they make figures of the Masters with these designs as well.  Maybe even a mini-subscription, like they did a couple of times before.



Do you agree with my opinions?  Let me know!  I will have to follow up and compare my votes with the final results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!