Monday, February 10, 2014

Born of the Gods...Magic the Gathering set review.

I pre-ordered my first ever booster box of Magic The Gathering cards in January, on the first day that they allowed me to at the Tangled Web in Spartanburg.  I was solidly excited...I love Greek styled things like the God of War video games, and I have a Fat-Pack box full of Theros cards from the previous set.

All through January, I kept up with the web chatter about the upcoming set, as was a little disappointed that more awesome stuff wasn't revealed.  This is billed as a small set...165 cards as opposed to 249 cards in a big set.

In the Pre-Release, it seemed no one hardly got any gods or planeswalkers.  I have yet to see an Ephara card.

I told myself, "Well, I am getting a box in a week.  I will get some good stuff."

What I really wanted was outlined in this post.  I didn't hardly get any of this stuff.  The one copy of Phenax was nice...How about three more, or at least an Ephara.  (Unreasonable, you say.  I got three copies of Tromokratis.  And Three copies of Eater of Hope!!  ARGGH)

No Brimaz.  In fact, I have only seen one, in the case at the store for $40!  (The only way I am going to get him for the fencing ace deck is trading or out of a booster pack.)  No Herald of Torment.

I only got one Phenax, and one Kiora.  I got a Mogis as well, but traded him to SpartanNerd #1  (He wanted it really bad).   I also got that Chromanticore for my hopeless Mazes End deck.  On the other hand I bet I have a playset of each common.   I got plenty of uncommons, but almost no complete playsets of them.   But I thought I would at least have four copies of Bile Blight or Searing Blood.  Nope.  One copy of Bile Blight.  That's it.  I am going to have to pay out or trade for more copies.  (That was a card I was really hoping to get four copies of.)

MY RATING

I am pleased with my investment...It was good savings and a way for me to jump into the new set.  But I didn't score anything major with a box of boosters.  I was left still wanting.  And I don't like that one bit.  I know, they are called Mythic Rare for a reason.  But a person who orders a booster box is a loyal customer, and should be rewarded better.

My booster box gets a 2\5.  I am a loyal customer.  I will pre-order another.  I know it is a gamble.  This time I feel I have a foundation,  but not the nice house on top.

The Born of the Gods set gets a 3\5.  What are we comparing it too?  I would give Theros a 5\5. I would give Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash both 5\5.  Core Set 2013 Also gets 5/5.  So there's your reference, readers.  BOG is OK.  It seems to continue to support the Black devotion strategy well, and adds options for beatdown decks.  Tribute is a wicked mechanic, while Inspired promises to create some combos.  I hate that they axed Monstrosity, however.  The new god cards are nice, but I wish they had weapons, and I also wish their devotion requirements weren't so high.  Some of the rares in this set seem to be as powerful as uncommons in some other sets.  Then there are a few useless cards...Eater of Hope (I now own 5 copies!) Heroe's Podium, Champion of Stray Souls, Nessian Wilds Ravager, etc.  BOG scores 3/5 because it does work well with Theros, but on its own, it is kind of weak.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!