Saturday, August 3, 2013

First Ever UNBOXING review! Orko/ Prince Adam

Hooray!

My heart leapt.  Literally skipped.  I had gone into Big Lots the day before, hearing the news that MOTUC was showing up.  But none were on the shelf.  The manager informed me that they would probably appear on the truck that was coming overnight.  He was right!  And the first figure I saw floating on the shelf was ORKO!  Knowing the kinds of things I know, I knew that was a Two for One!  You got Adam as his "Secret Accessory!"  And marked $10!  Score!  I had to look hard to find others.  But I did.  (See previous post)

So let's get down to it.  Of course tons of other folks have already done this.  But this is mine.  TAKE THAT, webhogs.


These two friends come in the standard MOTUC packaging, with the lightning bolts, and the ALL CAPS font.  From here you can see Orko, his wand, his flight stand, and his book os spells.  You can also see Prince Adam's belly and arm.  I looked in the top, and saw that Adam comes with an alternate head.  I seemed to have forgotten this detail.  I was looking for the pink sword.




Here's the back, and that "Oh so controversial" bio!  I mean, I don't have strong feelings against it.  But some people think this story takes away from the jester that Orko is.  But everything here seems to be established fact if you are condensing Filmation and Mike Young stories, other than the bit about him being assigned to guide Zodac (or is it Zodak?)  Interesting, the Sword of He is Trollan in origin......

AND NOW BACK TO THE SHOW.


When I removed the outside package, I could see it all.  And Adam comes with TWO pink swords.  (One half sword and one whole sword.)  If you are reading this, I probably need not bore you with the details why.  But basically everyone that comes with a Sword of He gets this treatment, except Keldor, apparently.

Removing everything from the package took a lot of careful effort.  There were a ton of rubber bands.

So here's Orko, all decked out for display.  I really dig the flight stand!  This is NOT the San Diego Comic Con exclusive version, that could turn invisible in water.  He can't hardly hold the spell book.  HIs arms, elbows, and wrists are articulated.  His head can move behind the scarf.  The hat is non-removable.  (Unlike the vintage version)  The wand looks like the wand we saw on the cartoon.  (which one?  In my old age, it starts to run together)

This is hands down THE GREATEST ORKO EVER.   I had the vintage one as a kid.  I always thought him too big, considering his scale on the cartoon.  Then the 200x version had WAY TOO MUCH exaggerated detail for my taste.  Though I thoroughly enjoy that cartoon.

Now for Adam.

First things first.  Adam has the weakest ankles I have yet seen in MOTUC.  Shame on you, Mattel.  He can hardly stand up.  I had to perform surgery with clear fingernail polish.  He should have just been right.  His angles are so loose, I saw them wiggling around in the package.

After some fiddling, here he is standing with his sword aloft!  Adam's shirt is non-removable.  Other than that, he is an exact repaint of He-Man.  Now for the alternate head.

This head is smiling.  I tried putting it on He-Man.  Besides maybe a slight different shade of skin color, they are exactly the same!


So here are my new acquisitions.  Not bad for a ten spot!  I'll just have to cut back on a meal eating out I guess.

These two were always featured as friends.  I am glad to have them bundled together.  Overall, I am very satisfied with Orko.  He gets a 4/5, missing a mark because he can't hold the book too good.  Adam gets 3/5.  He is an excellent figure, with great paint, and a beautifully sculpted extra head.  But his weak ankles really hurt his score.  What would you give him?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!