Saturday, May 11, 2013

Why I Choose AZORIUS

Why I, the SpartanNerd, chooses AZORIUS



When I began playing Magic: The Gathering, It was right when the Magic 2012 Core Set was released.  I found some Magic 2011 cards on sale also, and scooped them up.  Right away I identified with the Zombies and such.  I am drawn to the black magic.  That's me in general.  I find that stuff entertaining.

But Azorius is Blue and White!

When Magic Core Set 2013, came out, many of the cards I had come to love became illegal in standard.  So I began to experiment.  The Green style of playing just doesn't work for me.  And neither does Red.  I found that I do as well with White as I did Black.  But the Blue style magic reminded me the most of Majaya from Shadow Era.  With lots of control spells, etc.

So Azorius was pushed out in Return to Ravnica, is a combination of Blue and White, two styles that I play well.  How well?  Well last night I won half of my matches and would have been top eight if I wasn't forced to take a loss for being late.  AND I BEAT A CAREER PLAYER!  So I'm feeling good today.

When I think about who beats me the most, it is usually Gruul (Red and Green).  So my Azorius deck is designed to keep Gruul specifically under control.  The Gruul players like to bloodrush, Titanic Growth, etc, but they can't if you are armed with defensive spells.  And that is what Azorius is all about.  A good defense is your offense.

You see, I really believe that, way down in my heart.

read DEFENSIVE LINEMAN!  NOSEGUARD!

So I detain the attacking creatures, and shut down Gruul.  Do I win every time?  No. But I am ready for these aggressive strategies.  And some of my deal is I'm an idiot player.  My two actual losses last night came from bonehead decisions.  AND, I forgot that "Ruric Thar, the Unbowed" penalizes non-creature spells….New Card Syndrome!

But it was very satisfying when one of these Gruul players had five attackers, and one bloodrushed, and I had been holding "Aetherize" in my hand.  NOT GETTING THROUGH!  This was him being a bonehead.  He should have known something was up when I didn't attack him.

And I took two wins by attacking with small, cheap creatures.  "Azorius Arrester" gave one guy 18 damage.  "Azorius Arrester"….a 2/1 wimp hit him at least 9 times.  My opponent couldn't touch me.  Also "Lyev Skyknight" did well for me.  I was able to detain "Fog Banks", other flyers, etc.  I had four "fatties" hit the board at the right times last night.  They served their purposes well.

I got milled one time.  I couldn't do anything about that.  This was a time I should have mulliganned on down to five.

My Azorius strategy didn't do well against stuff with haste and flash.  "Yeva, Nature's Herald" became a problem for me.  It didn't do well when the proper manna wasn't available (no one does, right)   Just the same, I really believe in this strategy.

Think about it.  I am a teacher.  I am always saying…."Stop that." (Negate)  "No Talking" (Render Silent) "Go to the office" (Oblivion Ring, Detention Sphere). "I know you didn't just…" (Rain of Blades)…

See what I mean.  I might be drawn to the Black Magic for entertainment purposes.  But I AM AZORIUS.

Until I decide to switch, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!