Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Skeletor…..Evil Lord of Destruction MOTUC Toy Review

Today I am going to review TWO Skeletor figures.  Regular, and Battle Armor.



Regular Skeletor has a really nice sculpt.  I never noticed, but apparently it isn't really vintage accurate. Mattel opted to share parts, since he was one of the earliest figures, and gave him the same arms as Whiplash.  (I never noticed until Dragon Blaster Skeletor was revealed, and people talked about parts swapping the two to make a perfect Skeletor.)



Battle Armor Skeletor has the same sculpt, but some paint differences.  Regular Skeletor has a blue body and torso, while Battle Armor Skeletor is painted shiny purple underneath the armor.  This was to accomodate the "belly shirt" problem that this "sports bra" type of armor creates.  You won't notice it as much unless you try putting the battle armor on regular Skeletor.  Then it is a glaring fashion foux pa.



The head sculpt of these two appears to be the same….but the paint is really different.  Regular Skeletor's face was too yellow (or is that green?).  Battle Armor Skeletor had the perfect look.  So I swapped their heads, since I gave the Battle Armor version to one of the SpartanSmurfs.  They never noticed.  (Some people have put Molar Skeletor's head on Battle Armor Skeletor, making a battle damaged look.  Since I don't have that….)

Of course there are no real action features.  Battle Armor Skeletor has armor with a swappable chest piece that can show battle damage.  A real nerd will remember that the vintage version had an action mechanism that would "flip" if you touched it.  With the MOTUC version, you just decide how you want to display him.

Regular Skeletor comes with the all important Havoc Staff, a half sword, and a full sword.  Battle Armor Skeletor comes with only a purple battle axe.

The truth is, I ordered Battle Armor first….should have done my research.  He didn't come with the Havoc Staff, though originally I thought he was the cooler version.  When I got the Regular one in hand, I changed my mind.

I am very happy with Skeletor.  I suppose he should get a 5/5, but let's not forget that I head swapped with Battle Armor Skeletor.  If you want a more perfect version, you are going to have to order both.  Or order all three if you are a perfectionist, and mix and match parts.  (The third variant being Dragon Blaster Skeletor.)  So for me, this makes him a 4/5.  Do you agree?  Let me know in a comment.

Dont forget about my contest! (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!