Saturday, January 11, 2014

SpartanNerd Unboxing and Review...Marvel Select Thor

I have reviewed an excellent Marvel Select figure before, Deadpool, which you can read here...(And probably should)

I say that because, unfortunately, Thor doesn't stack up to Deadpool as a figure.  Let's see why!

Here Thor sits on the shelf at the Tangled Web in Spartanburg, yelling "Purchase me, mortal.  Thou hast the power!"
First of all, the packaging.  Thor comes in a beautiful Marvel box that displays what you are getting very clearly.  Also, there is nice comic book artwork on the left. side.
$24.99.  Not bad.  The Christmas fund will cover it.

The back of the package gives you a nice little backstory for Thor as he is in Marvel Comics.

Apparently, Thor is the daughter of Odin's mistress....
Time to tear into it!

Here is what you see when you open the box.  In case you are wondering, the little pamphlet shows off other Marvel Select figures as well as Marvel Mini-Mates.
Thor was strapped in with those stupid bread tie things.  I had to resort to cutting the left foot's wire-in with nail clippers, because I was afraid I would damage the figure.


What vile power can bind the God of Thunder?

Here he is, freed from his prison.
Let's discuss his articulation.  Compared to the previous Deadpool figure, he theoretically has mostly the same articulation points.  But I used the word Theoretically for a reason.  Actually, only the bottom joint of his double jointed knee moves.  Furthermore, his left leg is tighter than the right leg.  He has rocker ankles, that are quite stiff.  What about his arms?  Well they are pretty tight.  But his hands are sculpted into permanent positions.  No finger articulation.  Just Hammer Holder and Bruce Dickenson "Metal to the Masses" pose  (Thanks Puller, for that bit of poetry!).  His head is hampered by his hair and cape.  The hair and cape are not movable...They are stiff poses.  So really, he isn't all that much articulated.  In fact, his coolness as a toy is lessoned quite a bit.  He seems more like a statue with posable arms.
Here is what his back looks like.
 Now for the really important stuff.  Thor uses a "real man's hammer!"  (The SpartanNerd's friends will recognize this saying....)
nicely sculpted detail, it even has a loop.  This is what Thor uses to swing the hammer like a bola, I gather.
Pay attention to the bottom of the handle.  That little bulb of lacquer is going to be a problem.

I wanted to remove Mjolnier from the hand of Thor.  But, that little
blob of stuff made the hammer too fat to get it out of his hand.

I hope you're reading my captions.  That's right.  I couldn't get it out without force.  Force is the enemy of handles made of soft plastic.  I was so afraid I would bend it, I seriously considered leaving it in his hand forever.  But it is the job of an internet reviewer to come forth with all of the truth.  So I pulled it out as straight as I could.
You can see, I didn't bend it much.

Thor also comes with this stand...er...rock...err...meteor thing.
OK.  He has peg holes in his feet.  But it isn't any easier to make Thor stand.  Why?  That cape is quite heavy.  Also, his right leg is looser than his left leg.
I believe he stands better without the rock!

Not going to give you a picture, but my MOTUC figures stand quite nicely on that rock!

Here he is holding Vikor's sword.  He is a tad taller than MOTUC figures.
The scale seems larger.
It makes this awesome sword seem less awesome.


Two vikings.  This is the kind of Thor story I like.

Teela makes a fine barbarian bride for Thor!

Someone's a little jealous....Vikor, you're going to mess around and bend your axe!  (Too late!)


Deadpool..."What's your excuse for being less articulated?"
Thor..."I don't have to be.  I am immortal."
Deadpool..."Well, I am unkillable!"

How do I rate this Thor figure?  I am quite a fan of Thor, and I like the Thor movies.  In general I like the comics also, recently having read the whole Ghor the Godbutcher series in the Marvel NOW events.  (I will have to review that story sometime.)  I bought this figure for those reasons.  Plus I already knew the Deadpool was really very nice.  But I was disappointed in the quality of this figure, it feeling more like a statue and less like an action figure.  It only came with one accessory, and it can't stand on its stand so good.  His articulation is hampered.  And you can't do anything about it really because the cape is glued on and the hair is stiff.

So I am going to give it a grade of 2/5.  It gets the two points really only because he looks so awesome.  And looks awesome with Vikor and Teela.  But he could just as well continued to look as good on the store shelf.  On the other hand, he wasn't expensive.  And comparable comic book statues cost over $100.  So looking at it that way he would be a 4/5 as a statue.  (Not having as precise a sculpt as a statue because he was meant to be an action figure...if that makes sense?)

Do you agree or disagree?  Let me know, oh Hub City Geeks!  And be on the lookout for more awesome reviews by the SpartanNerd!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!