Monday, December 30, 2013

SpartanNerd Review...G.I. Joe figures from Dollar General...Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander


Here at the edge of the world, we don't have too many stores.  At one time, there were more, and then the apocalypse happened, and almost everything moved out.  And then Dollar General Market came in and filled the void.

I visit this store almost everyday, and saw these on the pegs right around Thanksgiving.  But I refrained from purchasing them.  I don't collect G.I. Joes, and the SpartanSmurf's have a history of owning them but not playing with them.  I admit that I was tempted, though.  I have never owned as awesome a Cobra Commander as they had on the shelf.  Furthermore, the figures seem to be painted in 1980's generation 1 cartoon colors, and they were on sale for only $6.00.  (The cheapskate in me screams..."What a deal!  G.I. Joes are running almost as much as $15.00 at department stores!")

So after Christmas, these were still hanging on the shelf...And the SpartanSmurfs had some money they were itching to spend...so where did I kind of point them???

Only one taker.  SpartanSmurf #2.  He is fond of Snake Eyes (and Ninjas in general), and thought Cobra Commander was cool also.  They also had a Duke, who looked nothing like Duke.  So neither one of us was interested.  (See...He takes after his old man!)

Here are some pics and a review, followed by some comments and a rating!  (I promise I took a pic of the box.  But somehow that is nowhere to be found?  The box is a window, prominently featuring the G.I. Joe branding, and on the back showcases six total figures from the line, but all painted in different colors than seen at the Dollar General Market.  You'll just have to take my word for it I suppose. The only figures we saw were the ones mentioned here.)





Snake Eyes.  CLASSIC!
Cobra Commander.  CLASSIC!  This staff is also a sword.
Cobra Commander and his accessories.


Snake eyes and his accessories.
He's holding a pistol.

A battle pose, by SparnanSmurf #2!

Thoughts on these figures.

"'Ow Be-zar!"  (Spoken in that dreadnok voice).  The marketing strategy here is.....I guess maybe some kid will come through with his weekly allowance, or maybe will come through with his mom and ask for this, and it is certainly reasonable as an impulse buy.  On the other hand, it seems it should appeal to people like me, more nostalgic types who have that 1980's childhood aesthetic sense about them, who would see them and recognize them on account of their paint job.

These figures are excellent.  Cobra Commander especially.  (I am more fond of the all black suited Snake Eyes rather than the early versions.)  Cobra Commander's eyes could be shoddily done, but they are not.  The work is clearly good.  And you get a stand!  (I am not sure, but don't most Joes come with a stand nowadays?)

The only difference in these and what I might find at say, Target, are the accessories.  They seem a little scant.  But hey.  It's a $6.00 G.I. Joe!  So I guess the corners had to be cut somewhere!

My rating?  I am going to say 4.5/5, taking off a point only because there aren't many accessories.  Other figures at Dollar General seem to have the same trend though, for instance the Marvel characters they have on the pegs have no accessories.  So I guess these guys are better than them!  But still, it isn't a full on G.I. Joe experience without the backpacks, extra guns, knives, swords, etc.   And I also wish the back of the box had a bio of the characters, (like in the old days!)  Anyone disagree with my 4.5, let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!