Monday, November 4, 2013

Figure Review...The Walking Dead "Governor" by McFarlane Toys

I have quite a long history with Image comics, mostly just Spawn, but I am sort of aware of other properties from them.  And if you have been reading my blog awhile...(someone has, don't know who), you know that Todd McFarlane is my favorite comic artist.

Over the years I have seen a few McFarlane Toys as well, but never owned one.  But aside from Spawn toys, which were largely sculpted by the Four Horsemen, the other toys are liscenced images.  Sports figures, rock stars, The Simpsons, even Where the Wild Things Are.  But the toys are always perfect likenesses.

Which is one reason why this Walking Dead figure is sort of...lacking.

Here is my review, with pictures.  Incidentally, this isn't my figure, it is SpartanSmurf #1's figure...

Here he is, in box on the Magic Card Table at the Tangled Web.

Here is the back of the box...showing other figures from the line.  Notice that this figure is billed as an AMC figure....you know, from the show.

Here he is at home, on my review table.  He doesn't look like the actor to me...
I have been known to have poor sight, though

Here he is with his famous eye patch.  It should be noted that
in order to change heads, it took a ton of effort.  And SpartanSmurf #1 told me
it was so hard that it scared him he would break it.  In fact, when I removed his other head
the entire torso popped apart!

This blurry pic is trying to show you that the ball joint is on the head, rather than on a next peg.

Here is the governor's weapons.  He uses all of these in the show, and more.  Wish there were more included.

But this is the worst thing about the figure.  This hand WILL NOT STAY ON.  It came off right out of the box.
Seriously, this thing is worse than a Star Wars figure when it comes to his right hand.

Here is an evil pose...His hand fell off right after I snapped the photo.
Guess that Machete was pretty heavy!
Here is my summary and score.

This figure has a loose sculpt that vaguely resembles the actor.  But the articulation is pretty good, with joints everywhere you would expect.  However, he loses some playability because his hand falls off repeatedly.  His included extra head is too hard to swap out.  And he should have came with more accessories.


So my score...2 out of 5.  This figure gets a 40.  F.  The Governor is far more evil a character than the walkers in the show, and he deserved a better figure.  I mean, he could have been worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!