Sunday, September 15, 2013

SpartanNerd Sundays...Faith and Mulligans

Ephesians 6:10-18- The Armor of God




My favorite style of Magic The Gathering play is called "constructed".  I like either "standard" or "modern". But Legacy and Vintage are beyond me (I'm a cheapskate, remember?).   And I am not good at limited and drafting....

So, you load up a constructed deck...   Maybe 25 lands and your favorite 35 other cards.  And play!

You are putting your faith in what you put in the deck, right?  You know there is nothing there that you didn't provide ahead of time.  You know that there are no red cards if you are playing black and white.  You know there are four Fencing Aces double striking the truth...You put them there!


I generally mulligan....draw six different cards after the first draw...when I have no land or nothing worthy to play.   Here's the devotional bit....if I have 5 lands in hand, what are the odds of Mana flood?  I have faith that there is NO WAY the next three turns are going to be all land....I mean, it could happen...(this IS a card game) But probably not.

Does that make sense?   Statistically the odds are in that favor.  

This principle runs truer than true with the Mazes End strategy, where you might just run three copies of each guild gate...If one Dimir Guildgate is out, and the other was milled...guess what...You know you have one more!  You hold Three Boros guild gates?  You need not worry about losing them, and furthermore you know you will be drawing something different each turn.


What does this have to do with anything?

Your deck, ahem, "library" in Magic is like your Christian testimony.  When the old devil tries to vex you away from the truth, you can think back on your life and say to him..."I remember when Jesus did this in my life, or did that in my life."  It is called "The Shield of Faith."  You can use it to protect yourself against the fiery arrows of Satan!  You can rely on the things God has provided in you!  You can have those experiences...that spiritual growth...always in mind.

But you have to keep your faith in those things.  The Bible says you have to "Take Up" that shield of faith!  Then swing that sword of truth!

Comment?  Let me know!  I'm waiting on some blog subscribers.  Subscribe people!  You won't be sorry!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, oh Hub-City Geeks!